Something is Growing in the Straw Bales

Inky cap mushroom in straw bale

This one is about to ink-out!

I haven’t planted anything in the straw bales yet, but something is growing! I have a big crop of mushrooms in one bale and a smaller crop of grass popping out of some of the other bales. Both of these are expected events, though still a bit surprising. The mushrooms are “inky cap mushrooms,” which are mushrooms that dissolve into a black goo after a day or so — I noticed the goo pretty heavily on one of the bales.

One bale is covered with mushrooms.

Cornell University’s mushroom blog has an interesting post on inky caps and their tendency to destroy themselves. In addition to sprouting mushrooms and grass, the bales are definitely heating up and I expect to be planting them out within a week or so.

This entry was posted in Straw Bale Gardening and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

56 Responses to Something is Growing in the Straw Bales

1. Sue says:

My Bales have been doing great , except for tiny flying insects all over ,it’s very discouraging.I have followed every step and used organic fertilizer.My plants are being destroyed .Does anyone know what’s going on.

2. Joy Clark says:

My pepper and tomato plants started well, but the peppers now have very small leaves, and the tomatoes have black spots on the leaves. I removed affected leaves, and sprayed the plants with a fungicide. We have had lots of rain, so maybe that is the problem.

3. Michelle says:

This is my first attempt at using straw bales. I laid them in one of my raised beds, with landscape fabric underneath. I am in Minnesota as well and comditioned the bales with organic blood meal. As I’ve seen here I really didn’t see much in the way of heat from the bales and just decided to plant. After about two weeks I certainly see the Chia Pet effect in several bales, while some have sparse grass, but I had/have no mushrooms. The extent of planting right now is cucumbers, pumpkins, zucchini, lettuce and I had an extra cabbage to I through it in. How often should the bales be watered now and is there any need to use fertilizer throughout the season since everything appears to be growing well?

4. Stefani H says:

a lot of the “slime ” some of you are experiencing comes from the mushrooms. They decompose into a slimy substance, I’m not sure if that is detrimental to the plants. I tend to pull as much mushrooms as I can, but that does get tiring.

5. Barbara Louise Sjoblad says:

The “grass” growing in your bales is not grass. It is sprouted grain, either oats or wheat that the thresher missed. There is bound to be some left behind when it is stripped off the shaft. Also, there is a big difference between hay bales and straw bales. It’s unlikely someone would sell you a straw bale that turns out to be a hay bale. They look quite different and it would be difficult to get them mixed up.

6. Dave Williamson says:

Michelle, Obviously conditions are different here in Arizona. But I water every day. I do try and fertilize at least every two weeks. The bales are great but most plants eem to want more nourishment here in AZ.