In an effort to clean out and edit some of the overgrown elements of my front garden, I cut back and moved a pot of ‘Spitfire’ nasturtiums that I have been growing as part of the SeedGROW project. By the time I took them out, my formerly lovely pot nasturtiums were sad, indeed, (there is apparently a reason these are nicknamed “nasties”) with a case of leafminers (thanks for the ID, Mr. Brown Thumb) and what might have been a wilt. Fortunately, the nasturtiums I planted in the ground are doing better.
The ones in the photo are from a group I planted with morning glories near a corner of the garage. It’s sunny in the morning, but shady most of the day. The nasturtiums seem to have been beat out for use of the support by the marigolds and so are mostly climbing along the ground. One of my longtime garden dreams is to create a floor of nastutriums similar to the one in Monet’s garden in France. That won’t be happening this year, but the nasties look pretty good (so far!) with the volunteer morning glories (good old, Grandpa Ott’s) and some ‘Profusion’ zinnias, which are doing the best they can in the tough clay soil near the garage.